How To Clean Your Own Carpets
Keep Your Carpets Clean and Fresh with DIY Cleaning
Do your carpets look a bit dull and dirty? Are mysterious stains suddenly appearing out of nowhere? Don’t stress! Cleaning your carpets is easier than you think. With some basic supplies and a little elbow grease, you can get your carpets looking fluffy and fresh again.
In this article, we’ll walk through everything you need to know to become a carpet cleaning pro. Let’s get started!
First Things First: Supplies You’ll Need
Before wielding any stain removers or breaking out the vacuum, take stock of the supplies you’ll need:
- Vacuum cleaner – Invest in a good quality vacuum with strong suction power. Make sure it has attachments like a brush head and hose to get into nooks and crannies.
- Carpet brush – For working cleaning products deep into carpet fibres. Opt for stiff nylon or synthetic bristles.
- Carpet cleaning solutions – Great options include:
- Baking soda – A mild abrasive that helps lift dirt
- White vinegar -Cuts through grime and leaves carpets fresh
- Dish soap – Works on oil-based stains
- Hydrogen peroxide – Bleaches stains
- Specialty cleaner – Look for natural, non-toxic formulas
- Clean cloths– Have plenty on hand to blot up filth and moisture.
- Steam cleaner (optional) – Takes your cleaning game up a notch.
- Stain removers (optional) – Help tackle super stubborn stains.
Now let’s talk about when your carpets need some TLC.
The Carpet Cleaning Schedule You Should Follow
How often should you be cleaning those carpets anyway? Here’s a basic timeline to follow:
- Daily – Vacuum high traffic areas if you have pets that shed. Their fur can accumulate quickly!
- Weekly – Give all carpets and rugs a good once over with the vacuum each week. Make sure to use attachments to get into corners.
- Every 3 months – Deep clean carpets by steam cleaning or using a DIY cleaner.
- Yearly – Hire a professional carpet cleaning service to deep clean if desired.
Clean stains immediately! The sooner you treat them, the better chance you have of removal.
Now let’s get into the nitty gritty of removing stains, and odors.
Cleaning Methods for All Your Carpet Needs
Vacuuming frequently is the best way to keep carpets clean day to day. Here are some top tips:
- Use a slow, methodical motion to ensure you get soil from the entire area.
- Run the vacuum over high traffic areas several times.
- Remove furniture to vacuum underneath and reach all areas of carpet.
- Use attachments like crevice tools to reach corners, baseboards, and stairs.
- Adjust the height as needed based on carpet pile.
- Empty the vacuum canister or bag frequently so suction won’t decrease.
Spot Cleaning Process
Pesky marks and stains happen. Using the right methods, you can erase them quickly:
For liquid stains:
- Blot immediately with a clean, dry towel to soak up excess moisture.
- Sprinkle a bit of baking soda or salt on the stain to help absorb more liquid.
- Dab the stain gently with a damp towel and soap-free cleaner.
- Blot again with clean towels until the stain fades.
For stained or sticky messes:
- Use a dull knife or spoon to scrape off any solid material. Try not to spread it around.
- Follow up with the liquid method above to remove any remaining stain.
For tougher stains:
- Check out our handy chart of common stain removal techniques.
Stain Removal Techniques
|Types of Stain
|Blot, apply club soda, sprinkle with salt, allow to dry, vacuum
|Sprinkle corn starch, allow to sit for 30 mins, vacuum
|Rubbing alcohol or hairspray
|Hydrogen peroxide, cold water
|Vinegar, water, dishwash soap
|Sour liquid, detergent, baking soda
|Allow to dry fully, vacuum
Every few months, carpets need a deeper refresh. Here are 2 methods:
- Sprinkle baking soda liberally over the entire carpet. This will help absorb odors and raise mud.
- In a spray bottle, mix 1 cup warm water, 1/4 cup vinegar, and a drop of dishwashing liquid. Shake well.
- Apply the solution over the baking soda and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Don’t oversaturate the carpet.
- Use a carpet brush to work the mixture deep into carpet fibers.
- Blot damp areas with a dry towel. Repeat until stain is gone.
- Allow carpet to fully dry before vacuuming.
- Vacuum first to get rid of loose debris.
- Pretreat any stubborn stains.
- Fill the steam cleaner reservoir with carpet cleaner and hot water per its directions.
- Work in sections using steady, even motions. Make overlapping passes.
- When the section is complete, use a paper towel to blot excess liquid.
- Allow the carpet to fully dry before walking on it or replacing furniture.
Smell something funky? Try these tips to freshen:
- For musty or damp smells, open windows to allow airflow and use a dehumidifier.
- Sprinkle liberally with baking soda. Let sit for 1-2 hours before vacuuming. It will absorb odors.
- Fill a spray bottle with equal parts vinegar and clean water for a light deodorizing mist.
Keep Your Carpets Stain-Free in the Future
Once you’ve mastered the art of DIY cleaning, here are some tips to keep them fresher longer:
- Place mats inside and outside entryways to reduce tracked in filth
- Have a “no shoes” policy for your home to cut down on grime
- Clean up spills immediately before they have a chance to stain
- Apply a protectant spray like Scotchguard to protect from future stains
- Keep humidity levels low to deter mold and mildew growth
- Have HVAC systems and air ducts professionally cleaned to eliminate odors
- Consider replacing high traffic area rugs with easy to clean tile or wood
Don’t Be Afraid to Call In the Professionals
If carpet stains have you pulling your hair out, don’t worry, you can always call in professional carpet cleaners. Services like Wow Carpet Cleaning Sydney offer full cleaning and stain removal services starting around $100.
Their powerful equipment and high-powered suction can eradicate the nastiest of stains and leave carpets deep cleaned and fresh smelling again.
So don’t stress if your carpets are looking a little lackluster. With some time and effort, you can get them cleaned up nicely. Just follow these tips and tricks for regular vacuuming, spot washing, odor removal, and thorough cleaning your carpets.
Your carpets will be soft, fluffy, and dirt-free in no time!